WHAT TO TAKE
What do I need to pack?
What you wear will depend on the placement you choose. If you are working with general school maintenance, old clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty would be ideal. Otherwise, lightweight smart-casual wear is fine. Please avoid very tight, short, or revealing clothing. There is a second-hand clothes market nearby selling items at very cheap prices should you require extra clothing.
What would you recommend to include?
- Sleeping bag or bedding, sheet/small pillow
- Mosquito net – Can be purchased in Iringa, much cheaper than in Europe
- Malaria pills – Can be purchased in Iringa, much cheaper than in Europe
- Unlocked mobile phone. You can purchase a local sim card on arrival, making it easy to keep in touch with your project coordinator, other volunteers and greatly reducing the cost of calling or texting home. A sim card currently costs approximately 1000 shillings, which is just under 50 pence/ 40 cents.
- Mosquito repellent (50% Deet)
- Sturdy footwear: lightweight walking boots/ trainers
- Lightweight jacket and sweater
- Hoody/cardigan for chilly nights
- Small rucksack for everyday use
- Hand sanitizing gel
- Basic travel first aid kit
- Imodium tablets
- Other optional suggestions:
- Playing cards
- IPod/ MP3 player
- Piriton (for mosquito bites)
- Laptop/ notebook