Amani Hostel, Is a Tanzania based company in Arusha city, is dedicated not only to unrivaled global experiential education, but is also committed to your privacy. In that spirit, please bear with us as we get a little technical here to comply with all relevant privacy laws, particularly the EU General Data Privacy Regulation, or GDPR.
- Personal Data: Personal Data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
- Usage Data: Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Cookies: Cookies are small pieces of data stored on a User’s device.
- Data Processors (or Service Providers): Data Processor (or Service Provider) means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller. We may use the services of various Service Providers in order to process your data more effectively.
- Data Subject: Data Subject is any living individual who is the subject of Personal Data.
- User: The User is the individual using our Service. The User corresponds to the Data Subject, who is the subject of Personal Data.
Information Collection And Use
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you.
Types of Data Collected
- Personal Data
While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to: Email address, Name, Address, State, Province, ZIP/Postal code, City, Country, Cookies and Usage Data.
We may use your Personal Data to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. We also use this Personal Data to provide you with advice and service about international internships, volunteer positions, and other forms of experiential education. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email we send.
- Usage Data
We may also collect information how the Service is accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
- Tracking & Cookies Data
Cookies are files with small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Tracking technologies also used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze our Service.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.
Examples of Cookies we use: session cookies (we use these cookies to operate our Service) and preference cookies (we use these cookies to remember your preferences and various settings).
Use of Data
We use the collected data for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service
- To notify you about changes to our Service
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so
- To provide customer support
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Service
- To monitor the usage of our Service
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
- To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have enquired about, unless you have opted not to receive such information.
Retention of Data
We will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
Transfer of Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.
Disclosure Of Data
- Disclosure for Law Enforcement. It is possible that we may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Security Of Data
The security of your data is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data Under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Amani Hostel may process your Personal Data because:
- That is how we can best provide you the services you have requested
- You have given us permission to do so
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and it’s not overridden by your rights
- To comply with the law
You’re Data Protection Rights under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. Amani Hostel aims to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete, or limit the use of your Personal Data.
If you wish to be informed what Personal Data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update or to delete the information we have on you.
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Data.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of your Personal Data in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where Amani Hostel relied on your consent to process your personal information.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service (“Service Providers”), to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform Service-related services or to assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.
These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service.
- Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/
We may provide paid products and/or services within the Service. In that case, we use third-party services for payment processing (e.g. payment processors).
The payment processors we work with are:
Links to Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 16 (“Children”).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 16. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that you’re Children has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
We understand our responsibilities to treat personal information with respect, and acknowledge it is important to make you aware of how we collect, store, and disclose information you have shared with us. Our aim is to assist you to make an informed decision about sharing personal information with Amani Hostel.
When this policy refers to “International Volunteer HQ”, “Amani Hostel”, “us”, “we” or “our” it refers to International Volunteer HQ Limited, which is responsible as the Data Controller for the security and management of your personal information.
References to “Independent Local Teams” relate to the independent organizations responsible for hosting volunteers recruited and sourced by Amani Hostel. While we promote best practice data protection measures, we make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of Independent Local Teams, or any other third-party organization.
Information we collect
Amani Hostel collects personal information about you through a number of sources, depending on the circumstances of your engagement with us. Personal information collected and held by Amani Hostel may include:
- Your name, email address, contact details, gender, date of birth, dietary requirements, relevant medical background, nationality, school, emergency contacts details, travel insurance details and criminal background; and
- Details of volunteer programs you have either participated in or enquired about, including your travel details, program feedback and testimonials.
Personal data is either supplied by you directly to Amani Hostel or provided to us by someone representing you. Information not collected on our application form is additionally sourced via email and other direct volunteer communications, including social media. We may also collect personal information if you choose to enter a scholarship or other promotion, subscribe to our newsletter, or request a brochure or other document.
Online payments are processed through a secure third-party site, and Amani Hostel does not receive or have access to personal information such as bank or credit card details.
What we do with your information
We collect, hold, use and selectively disclose personal information about you in order to administer the function of selecting you as an eligible volunteer and placing you on one of our programs with an Independent Local Team, providing the most suitable customer service, or promoting volunteer safety. In the performance of our normal business activities we may use your information in the following ways:
- To review your suitability for a selected volunteer program via an automated or manual method.
- To enable an Independent Local Team to make arrangements necessary for your volunteer program.
- To contact you through a range of mediums to discuss any engagement you may have had with us, including your confirmed volunteer program, any feedback you may have provided, or any other service you have requested us to perform.
- To allow a listed emergency contact or insurance provider to be updated about any details regarding your program, including sensitive personal information in circumstances involving emergencies or concerns about volunteer safety where it is appropriate for them or Amani Hostel to act on your behalf.
- To meet the requirements of an institutional relationship or insurance policy.
- To make improvements to our programs, our website, applications and marketing, and to provide insights that help us to meet your needs better.
- To promote our volunteer programs. Feedback and testimonials provided, along with your name and images shared by Amani Hostel volunteers may be used for marketing and promotion purposes.
- To produce research and analysis for the purposes of measuring and communicating the impact of volunteer programs on individuals. The outputs of these activities will be presented at an aggregate level only and will not be attributable to any particular individual.
- Data relating to criminal offences is not shared with any national law enforcement bodies.
In summary, we process your personal information for certain legitimate business purposes, which include:
- Presenting to you information that we believe will be of interest and relevance, through a range of marketing and communication channels.
- Identifying and recommending volunteer programs or associated services that we think may be of interest to you.
- Enhancing, modifying personalizing or otherwise improving your experience of our website, marketing or communications.
- To better understand the effectiveness of our website, marketing and communications with you. We may choose to market and promote this information to you via a wide range of mediums based on personal information held.
Whenever we process your data for this purpose we will keep your personal information rights in high regard and take steps to safeguard personal information. You can opt-out of receiving marketing information, or allowing us to process your information for these purposes at any time by using ‘unsubscribe’ links, or contacting us directly.
We process this personal information on a number of legal grounds, including with your consent, for the purposes of providing services to you under an existing or potential contract, to comply with legal obligations imposed on us, to protect your vital interests (for example, in the case of medical emergencies) and / or for our legitimate interests where these are not overridden by your rights.
Who we share your information with
We will only use your personal information within Amani Hostel for the purposes for which it was obtained. We do not provide your personal information to other third-parties without a lawful ground for that disclosure. We will not, under any circumstances, share or sell your personal information with any third party for their own marketing purposes, and you will not receive marketing from any other companies, charities or other organizations as a result of giving your details to us. Where your personal information is transferred to a third party in a non-approved country we ensure that suitable safeguards are put in place to ensure your personal information and rights are protected.
We may share your personal information with:
Internal stakeholders: In order to undertake the processing as set out above, our normal business and to provide you with a high quality of service and support, we may disclose your personal information to our employees, directors, contractors or approved third-party service providers located either in New Zealand or overseas.
Independent Local Teams: These organizations are independent from Amani Hostel and access the personal information of volunteers via our secure database for the purpose of arranging and providing in-country services. We have safeguards in place to ensure that these Independent Local Teams protect your personal information and only use this as authorized by Amani Hostel.
Your emergency contact or insurer: In some circumstances, such as in emergencies or when volunteer safety is a concern, it is appropriate for Amani Hostel to share your personal information with your listed emergency contact or your insurance provider.
Our flights partners: Where a volunteer notifies Amani Hostel that they wish to receive quotations for flights or other travel services, we may share personal information such as your name, email address, travel dates, destination and home city with our flights partners. This information is provided solely for the purpose of providing a quotation that is relevant to your proposed travel.
Your university or school: Where a volunteer applies using a school or university email address, or indicates that they are a student of an educational institution, we may share your name, contact details and the program details with this institution.
We do not allow these external organizations to use your data for their own purposes or disclose it to other third parties without our consent and we will take all reasonable care to ensure that they keep your personal information secure.
We will also comply with legal requests where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime).
We respect your right to know details about the information we hold about you, and to correct any inaccuracies in our records. You can view and amend much of the personal information we hold about you by accessing your My Amani Hostel account, however if you require further details you can contact us directly and complete a Data Subject Access Request form. All requests for personal information will be acknowledged and provided within 30 business days.
Should you wish to opt-out of receiving communications from Amani Hostel at any stage you can notify us by using ‘unsubscribe’ links or other opt-out tools provided in email communications or in forms used to apply for volunteer programs or join an Amani Hostel promotion or scholarship. Similarly, you can request that we permanently remove all personal information that we currently hold about you by contacting us. Once we are suitably notified, we will action your request within a reasonable timeframe.
You also have the right to withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information at any time, the right to request the personal information we hold about you is rectified, that any of our processing is restricted and the right to data portability. You can also choose not to provide us with some of the personal information we request, however this may result in us being unable to provide you with all of our services. Please contact us for further details about any of these rights.
How long we’ll keep your information
We are only permitted to store your personal information for as long as necessary having regard to the purposes for which it was collected or a related or ancillary purpose.
Generally, we keep your information in line with our data retention policy.
Therefore, we may delete your personal information after a reasonable period of time and, if you have not used our services for some time, you may have to re-enter or re-supply your personal information to us. At times, we may need to retain your information for a longer period where we need the information to comply with regulatory or legal requirements or where we may need it for our legitimate purposes. If we don’t need to retain information for this period of time, we may destroy, delete or anonymise it more promptly.
Although we try our best, Amani Hostel does not guarantee that website visitors will have uninterrupted or error-free access to, and use of our website. We also can’t guarantee that any files that are able to be downloaded are error-free and free from viruses or other defects. All website users need to rely on their own judgment in relation to the accuracy, completeness and suitability of all content on the Amani Hostel website.
We use both first-party cookies and third-party cookies on our website. By using our website, you agree to us using both types of cookies in the ways described below.
Third-party cookies, including those provided by Google and Google Analytics are used on certain pages on our website. The information collected by these cookies is used for the purpose of compiling analytical reports that enable Amani Hostel to measure and record the number of visits to various sections of our website, the average time spent on the site and the pages viewed. They do not allow Google to collect any personal information from any users of our website, but they do enable Google to show our advertisements to internet users based on their previous use of our website.
Neither Amani Hostel, nor any third-party, stores any personal information in cookie data. Users who do not want cookie information to be collected or shared with third-parties can disable the cookie feature within their browser.
Email us: email@example.com
Sokoine Road then Sombetini Road
P.O Box 1, 4950, Arusha, Tanzania.
Last updated: 15th February 2021.